The December 4th meeting was Foundation Day! We distributed our annual report which reminds us of the tremendous impact, both in dollars and services, we gave to the Sacramento area and for international projects.
The result of the Big Game (Stanford and Cal) was on the minds of more than a few Rotarians. President Diane and Past President John Frisch (Newmark Cornish & Carey) had numerous wagers to pay after Stanford’s victory over their Bears, and President Diane was reduced to wearing a Cardinal visor at the podium.
Jeff Curcio’s (Murphy Austin Adams Schoenfeld LLP) thought of the day was “Inspiration” which was a perfect fit for our meeting.
Club Foundation President Steve Heath collaborated with fellow foundation trustees Shirlee Tully (Capital Public Radio), Becki Roberts (Central Valley Community Bank), Dennis Smith (Tsakopoulos Property Management) and Rick Davis to present an inspiring look at the foundation’s successes, its financial position, and to salute “The Immortals,” those departed Rotarians who made bequests to the foundation.
Steve’s team recognized the following members for Paul Harris awards: Leo McFarland (Volunteers of America), Steve Shiflett, Dick Wertz, Rick Davis and Fred Teichert (Teichert Foundation).
These Rotarians were recognized for their Eddie Mulligans: Jackie Kirkwood (Goodwin Cole Company), Lev Kaganovich (Energy, LEED and Commissioning Consultant), Frank Cook (Cook Realty), Norm Marshall (Headwaters Construction), Jeanne Reaves (Jeanne Reaves Consulting), Ed Grebitus, Bob Hall, Eric Solis (Solis Financial Strategies Group), Rick Davis, Lee Castonguay, Fred Teichert, Paul Bystrowski (Hub International) and Past President Skip Lawrence.
- The Toy Drive is back again next week. If you are unable to bring a toy, footballs and basketballs will be available for purchase at $20 each.
- The deadline for local nonprofits to apply for a club community grant is February 20th.
- The Blood Drive is focused on a big push January 14th-20th, but you can donate any time before or after. If you have any questions, please contact Kathe Nathan (Merchants National Bank)
- Jackie Kirkwood and the Club’s Young Professional group will be sorting toys on December 8th from 12-3pm. All are welcome and details are at the club website.
- Volunteers are needed to help the Rotary Club of Gridley at the Camp Fire Distribution Center. Please contact President Margaret Hughes at email@example.com or at (530) 693-2528.
- an upcoming Holiday Event is set for December 12th at Bowling Green Elementary, a recipient of Golf for Kids. Please look for a separate email.
- Daughters Day is in two weeks! Bring your daughters, granddaughters, or special lady to our Rotary meeting on December 18th.
Many thanks to:
- wine reception sponsor Surender Singal
- pianist Dick Wertz
- greeters Kory Ley (American Red Cross), Shirlee Tully, and Brian Van Camp (ADR Services), and Ruth Tesar (Northern California PET Imaging Center)
- meeting photographer John Swentowsky (Swentowsky Photography).
Next week’s meeting will be the Annual Meeting, where newly elected club board members will be announced, as well as the unveiling of the President-Elect Nominee for the 2020-21 club year. The guest speaker will be UC Davis professor Charles Bamforth, “The Beer Guy.”
And finally, a Happy Birthday this week to our esteemed President Diane!